Planet Fedora guidelines?

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 18 19:53:44 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 13:53 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> If this discussion were happening on an Ubuntu list because they were
> butthurt about a Fedora contributor joining their planet and put up a
> huge Fedora logo, I'd be having a damned fine laugh at their expense.

It would be perfectly rational for them to be bothered by it if that was
the case.

Why do we have separate planets? Hmmm. Why don't we just have one planet
with all contributors from all distros?

> Instead, *we* come across as being butthurt about Ooboontoo.  Plain
> and simple.  Makes me sad.

> But if we can't envision a situation in which a post with a gigantic
> ooboontoo logo might just belong on the Fedora planet from time to
> time, then I think we're being reactionary and insecure.  And this
> isn't just Mo, either.  I think a deep insecurity about ooboontoo has
> taken

Wow, this is being blown way out of proportion to be an ubuntu-specific
problem, or to be some deep-rooted psychosis or insecurity. It's not. I
could really care less about posts having something to do with ubuntu
being posted to our planet. What seems obnoxious to me is an ubuntu logo

THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG
[...]

Front and center on the planet, with two lines of content in a
non-lingua franca language I certainly don't understand, linking to a
site that appears to be selling something and is definitely asking for a
lot more personal information than any free / open project would ever
need to know.

This, at the same time ubuntu themselves [1] are being attacked on
identi.ca, I made the assumption (perhaps unfair, perhaps rash) that
this could be a similar attack on Fedora. Certainly an account *just*
added to planet behaving in this way seems way more suspicious than say
a planet contributor who's at least been around for a few weeks and has
actually made at least one post about *fedora*, who happens to make a
random post (hopefully with enough lines of content to dwarf the hugeass
logo) about ubuntu or any other distro.

After seeing that social media attack on ubuntu I am thinking, wow,
*anybody* could sign up for a FAS account, sign up to get a blog
syndicated to planet, and just troll away. And we don't even have a
single guideline to prevent them from doing so.

So I apologize if I was rash in asking if it was a problem, and I
apologize for jumping to a lot of conclusions. But please let's drop the
Ubuntu psychosis talk because it really isn't relevant.

~m

[1] http://identi.ca/markshuttlecock , http://identi.ca/jonabacon ,
http://identi.ca/sjobs