proposal for the board: planet fedora != fedora people

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 20:04:35 UTC 2010

2010/6/18 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>:
> On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 12:16 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
>> I don't happen to think that ubuntu content on our blog is a problem.
>> Particularly if the same people are posting Fedora content there - or
>> Debian folks are posting content to all three places - then it becomes
>> a feature, rather than a problem. I'm not a fan of being known as "the
>> distro that won't let you talk about other distros," or essentially,
>> the distro that relegates all non-distro related content to a sub-blog
>> that nobody ever reads.
>
> The problem isn't just that it's an ubuntu post. But it seems no matter
> how many times I say this in the thread it's ignored.

Your mail which kicked off the original thread said this:

"http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/oktarahadian/~3/3LGRNs5v_cw/

Is it just me who takes issue with a 400x400 px ubuntu logo on the top
Planet Fedora?

~m"

So the problem is.... 400x400.... logos? Really?

I've seen a lot of really poorly-formatted, obnoxiously-sized images
(even to my clearly non-designer eyeballs) on planet.fp.o in the past.
Nobody has ever commented on any of those on the board mailing list,
nor have those blog posts ever resulted in a mailing-list discussion
about filtering -content-.

Maybe people jumped on the ubuntu angle rather than the 400x400 bit
and should not have. Also, I understand that you are saying some
guidelines would be nice.  If we want to have guidelines relating to
artistic quality and so forth, then, I wish you luck enforcing those
posts.  If we want to have loose guidelines saying, "be excellent,
don't post porn pictures, and try to refrain from cursing in 48-point
font," then I think that's acceptable as well. If we want to have
guidelines saying "we can only talk about Fedora stuff here," and
turning the main planet page into a Fedora-only place, taking away the
community element, and relegate all Non-Fedora stuff to a page that
nobody visits, I think that is very, very problematic.  And that is
precisely where this thread has gone.