proposal for the board: planet fedora != fedora people

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 18 20:17:22 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 13:04 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> 2010/6/18 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>:
> > The problem isn't just that it's an ubuntu post. But it seems no matter
> > how many times I say this in the thread it's ignored.

> So the problem is.... 400x400.... logos? Really?

Is the sarcasm really necessary, Robyn?

I do find a 400x400 Ubuntu logo on Planet Fedora rather obnoxious, yes.
But I was referring to the thread as a whole, not the original post:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/advisory-board/2010-June/008481.html

"It's not clear this person has contributed to Fedora in any way. He
just added himself to our planet this week and has been an account
holder for less than a month. His hugeass ubuntu logo is accompanied by
a form for some ubuntu product that asks a lot of personal information.

"This isn't, say, a GNOME hacker working on an Ubuntu issue and who also
happens to be on Planet Fedora - which we've seen quite a lot of on our
planet and about which I could care less."

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/advisory-board/2010-June/008484.html

"First of all, did you take a look at the link he provided? To me, it
appears to be a commercial page looking to grab a lot of detailed
personal information about people before offering anything of use."

> If we want to have
> guidelines saying "we can only talk about Fedora stuff here," and
> turning the main planet page into a Fedora-only place, taking away the
> community element, and relegate all Non-Fedora stuff to a page that
> nobody visits, I think that is very, very problematic.  And that is
> precisely where this thread has gone.

This has been suggested because trusting people's judgment in refraining
from posting inappropriate content is not a solution given several
incidents.

The solution I would rather have (see subject line of original thread)
is a set of guidelines, but it's extremely difficult to draw a clear
line and nobody seems to agree on what they should be or how to judge
whether or not something violates them. The easiest line to draw seems
to be fedora vs non-fedora content - so the solution Seth proposed makes
a lot of sense in that light.

~m