Planet Fedora guidelines?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 20:42:27 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 03:53:44PM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 13:53 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> > If this discussion were happening on an Ubuntu list because they were
> > butthurt about a Fedora contributor joining their planet and put up a
> > huge Fedora logo, I'd be having a damned fine laugh at their expense.
> >
> It would be perfectly rational for them to be bothered by it if that was
> the case.
>
> Why do we have separate planets? Hmmm. Why don't we just have one planet
> with all contributors from all distros?
>
> > Instead, *we* come across as being butthurt about Ooboontoo.  Plain
> > and simple.  Makes me sad.
>
> > But if we can't envision a situation in which a post with a gigantic
> > ooboontoo logo might just belong on the Fedora planet from time to
> > time, then I think we're being reactionary and insecure.  And this
> > isn't just Mo, either.  I think a deep insecurity about ooboontoo has
> > taken
>
> Wow, this is being blown way out of proportion to be an ubuntu-specific
> problem, or to be some deep-rooted psychosis or insecurity. It's not. I
> could really care less about posts having something to do with ubuntu
> being posted to our planet. What seems obnoxious to me is an ubuntu logo
>
> THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG

So, I think people didn't understand that at all -- In your original phrase:

"Is it just me who takes issue with a 400x400 px ubuntu logo on the top
Planet Fedora?"

I definitely read the emphasis on "ubuntu" rather than "400x400 px".  Sorry
for that.

The image is actually scaled to 272x275px (the html tags specify a width and
height) so its in the range of the "I voted" Fedora stickers which are 25
x 250px

I don't have a problem with us showing images of this size.  Pictures
displayed on the planet are often even bigger.  If we want to have some
guidance about how large a photo or logo could be and not break our CSS,
I guess we could but unless the image is designed to make user's machines
unusable due to large memory needs to display it, it seems like something
more in the matter of good or bad aesthetic sense rather than something we
should be saying you must or must not do.

-Toshio