Planet Fedora guidelines?

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Sat Jun 19 12:06:53 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-06-19 at 19:36 +0800, Heherson Pagcaliwagan wrote:

> >> Reading it all at once, no it wasn't.  What is the discussion about?
> >
> > While a single blog post sparked the discussion most of it has been
> > about whether or not we should come up with guidelines for planet, how
> > do we handle problematic posts, proposals to address some of the issues,
> > things of that nature. We wouldn't have so much to talk about if there
> > hadn't been several planet incidents in the past couple years or so.
> >

> I would just like to report that (1) the planet feed of the blog in
> question now implements tag filtering and (2) it just took a quick
> email pointing the problem. The line about "Fedora Project's
> contributors do attempt to resolve every such situation constructively
> and amicably"[1] still holds true so it seems.
>
> Mo probably wants the discussion for "really sticky" situations where
> the poster and the reporter stopped in "being excellent to each
> other". So far, it's the purview of the Fedora Webmaster to make the
> judgment call whether it infringes on the set guidelines or not.
>
> My vote is for us to keep being excellent to each other and probably
> have a go at the guidelines using things we just have learned from a
> post of an ambassador-to-be.
>
> [1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Planet

Overall, I wasn't really offended by the post that provoked the current
discussion, and I think that some of the concerns we have been raised
are addressed by (a) the CLA+1 requirement and (b) the existing
guidelines.

One thing we should consider proactively is a way to quickly and
temporarily remove a feed from the planet if there is a massively
offensive post (porn, a profanity-laden diatribe, stolen proprietary
source code, or whatever). Is it prudent to have a kill-and-consider
procedure in place, with the sincere hope that we'd never need to invoke
it? (Trust me, I really don't want more policies, monitoring, or
censorship in place, but perhaps we do need a way to react quickly if
something crazy happens).

-Chris