Target Experience, Etc.

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 17:29:07 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 03:20:25AM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2006-February/msg00174.html
>
> This came up somewhere else today and I thought it was a good read.

Someone pointed this out to me a year back and I found this bit
interesting:

""
If you guys want a specific productive suggestion, I think these are two
de facto directions that could just be adopted; one is a kind of
building block platform shared among the GNOME desktop, Maemo, GPE, XFCE
even [2]; it might benefit from becoming explicitly targeted toward
multiple projects? Emphasize fd.org more. I don't know. Two is a GNOME
desktop that is still largely UNIX/shell-user/developer-oriented,
designed for the customers of today's Linux distributions. Focus on this
more and do it better.
"""

I think Fedora has the same basic choices for easy directions to pursue.
Focus on being easily adapted into Sugar for OLPC, Meego for netbooks and
handsets, RHEL for servers, appliances, developer spins, lab images, etc.

or

Focus on being a great distribution for the unix admins, developers, and
packagers that are the core of our contributors.

-Toshio