Planet Fedora guidelines?

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jun 19 18:36:49 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-06-19 at 11:01 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 11:55:28 -0400,
>   Chris Tyler <chris at tylers.info> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-06-19 at 11:31 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > > - a FAS account aging requirement for posting rights (maybe a separate
> > > planet that, if you hae a mentor, they can watch and you can graduate
> > > from? For example new ambassadors could be added to an ambassadors
> > > planet first..... if there is some faux paus people reading will better
> > > know who the poster is and more easily know how to contact them etc)
> >
> > I'm curious about this one, because CLA+1 strikes me as being better
> > than an aging requirement. In what cases are new contribs getting +1
> > without some form of mentorship or input from the community?
>
> That was the only one on the list that didn't seem to be clearly a good
> idea. I think this issue is better solved by having better documentation
> on how to use (particularly using tagging) and what the expectations are
> for Fedora Planet.
>
> I think restricting people to a limited feed during a probationary period
> is more likely to do harm by discouraging people, than prevent harm by
> preventing oopses.

Actually I've spoken to several people who've remarked they wish they
had the guts to blog on planet and I've encouraged several of them to
give it a shot, sometimes reading over their blog posts before they made
them public.

There are actually many people (mostly non-developers :) )who are afraid
to post directly to planet but for whom some sort of sandbox-like place
to post in a less 'public' way might help build up their confidence.....

~m