Planet Fedora guidelines?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 20:06:28 UTC 2010

2010/6/22 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>:
> On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 13:33 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
>> I could be wrong (John, please correct me if I am) but I believe he was
>> just pointing out what a slippery slope we'd be on if we start censoring
>> posts to planet.  IMHO it's a dark road with no benefits to Fedora.
>
> I'm starting to feel like it's more like locking your car door or not.
> Of course when I lived in upstate New York I left my car door unlocked
> all the time. Who would steal my car? What a pain for others needing to
> get in.
>
> Then I moved to Boston. I keep my car door locked at all times and even
> then my window's been smashed in and stuff stolen.
>
> When the community gets bigger, it gets to be more like Boston than a
> bucolic little town where everyone knows everyone else.

This is a perennial issue with all growth (whether it be size or just
age). Which rules and policing actually will be effective and what
ones are just in place to try to keep things back to how it was when
things were just a bucolic town. And even if the rules would be
effective, the basic core personality of a person is going to react
differently from them. The bar-room brawls we have seen over some
things are indicative of these different viewpoints.

Some people will rate 'safety' over other concerns. Some people will
rate the ability to do what they want over other concerns. Some people
are the sort where they want lots of space around them and when it
gets too crowded they will just move on. Other people require lots of
people around them and will try to keep as large a group near them as
possible. All of these will conflict over time and people tend to see
the worse in others when feeling threatened from their 'safe' zones. I
don't have a solution to this.. if I did I would probably be a
billionaire. The best I can do is try to be in someone else's shoes as
best as possible.

== My Personal Opinion ==

I do not have a problem with that large picture on the planet. I do
not find this particular one any more painful to see than some of the
cartoons that have been on the planet disparaging other distributions.
Nor was its size that much worse than others I have dealt with from
the planet.

That said, I do believe that we should review our rules regularly to
make sure they still fit current needs, and should make appropriate
changes where found wanting.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.