Wiki page for country

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 17:56:21 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 12:04:58AM +0300, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 11:21 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 10:56:31PM +0300, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> > > I would love to have lebanon.fedoracommunity.org point to the Lebanon
> > > wiki page, so I'll see about talking to the website team at some point
> > > in the next few weeks.
> >
> > Usually we use the standard country code for this, ergo
> > lb.fedoracommunity.org.  You can find more information on our local
> > community domain offerings here:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Local_community_domains
>
> lb.fedoracommunity.org would be just dandy.  After reading the above
> link, my main concern is that it isn't obvious that we can have
> http://lb.fedoracommunity.org point to
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedoracommunity.org/Lebanon.  I am
> assuming this is feasible and not against the "we don't provide hosting"
> policy.

Ah, I had misunderstood that the wiki to which you were referring was
somewhere *other than* Fedora.  In fact this may well impact on our
policy regarding fedoracommunity.org.

One of the major objectives of the fedoracommunity.org domain
structure is to allow communities to build their own content, and not
have that content restricted unnecessarily by official Fedora Project
policies.  The use of "fedoracommunity.org" as the domain name helps
to clarify that the subdomains are managed independently and entirely
by Fedora community members.

To redirect a fedoracommunity.org domain to an official
fedoraproject.org site is technically feasible.  But to do that, the
site content would be restricted to only material that can normally be
included on fedoraproject.org sites.  This issue is probably something
the Board should discuss: Should we permit a fedoracommunity.org
subdomain to resolve to any official Fedora Project site/page?

My immediate thoughts are that the fedoracommunity.org subdomain works
best when we get out of a community member's way to provide useful,
localized information for Fedora.  The more restrictions we put on its
use, the less useful it becomes.  Muddling up the fedoracommunity.org
subdomain concept with the official purposes and policies of the
fedoraproject.org sites is likely to make life more difficult for a
local community that wants to grow its own content.