Bad-mouthing and hostility

Thomas Janssen thomasj at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 10 14:17:41 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010, susmit shannigrahi wrote:
>
>>> If we have packages in the distro for which we cannot find enough people
>>> to test outside of the package maintainer then my question is - who is
>>> using it? If so few people are using it then aren't we just wasting
>>> bandwidth and diskspace having it around?
>>

>> All the users are not testers. Neither all the users report back bugs.
>> This assumption, with all due respect, is oversimplified.
>
> I agree - and in the meeting I noticed it was something worth thinking
> about.
>

> To be clear, fedora has almost no way to get rid of a package if it has a
> maintainer.
>
> So we will likely grow w/o bound.

This could change if we provide information about
downloads/installation of packages (thinking on the one mirror in
Fedoras hands or information submitted once a month (for example) from
a users box). I would drop a package if nobody uses it (including me).
But that's just me.

--
LG Thomas

Dubium sapientiae initium