Bad-mouthing and hostility

Thomas Janssen thomasj at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 10 14:57:50 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Matt Domsch <matt at domsch.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 03:17:41PM +0100, Thomas Janssen wrote:
>> This could change if we provide information about
>> downloads/installation of packages (thinking on the one mirror in
>> Fedoras hands or information submitted once a month (for example) from
>> a users box). I would drop a package if nobody uses it (including me).
>> But that's just me.
>
> arguments about statistics/sampling...  We have >240 public mirrors
> serving >158Gbits of bandwidth), and >300 private mirrors (bandwidth
> unknown).  Most of those have lots more bandwidth than what
> Fedora-owned mirrors can provide.  So, if we have a 1 in say 550
> chance of hitting a Fedora-owned mirror if all bandwidth were equal;
> we weight based on bandwidth of each mirror, so it's actually going to
> be larger than that, likely about 1 in 1500.  So at a rough estimate
> (modulo user location and available mirrors by country), a package
> would need 1500 users for our mirror to serve it up once.  We're
> complaining that we can't find 3 users of a single package to provide
> feedback.
>
> Sure, we could have a new "quarantine" hunk of the master mirror that
> we don't expose to the mirror network as a whole, but only to a
> Fedora-owned mirror.  How do we decide which packages to put there?
> I'm seeing complexity to gather more information, but if the set of
> actions at the end of the day remains "it's up to the maintainer to
> keep the package in Fedora or not" - I don't see how the added
> information and complexity to gather it would help.

Right. Sounds quite hard. Looks like we haven't much options. Maybe we
can have the "popularity" like thing. But i guess to have the right
statistics we would need to implement a "calling home and telling us
what's installed" function. That sounds as well a bit bad since it has
some "windows-call-home" touch. *sigh*
Well, i'm not the smartest out there in the wild. Maybe someone else
comes up with something better.

--
LG Thomas

Dubium sapientiae initium