Stable release updates vision

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 19:04:53 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 10:40:42AM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 13:22 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > As noted in our previous minutes[1], the Board was tasked with
> > producing a vision statement for updates to Fedora stable releases.
> > That vision can be found here:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Stable_release_updates_vision
> >
> > This statement is the result of many Board discussions which have
> > taken into consideration issues raised recently in numerous other
> > venues such as the devel list.  After considering these issues
> > carefully, along with other factors such as the broad user base for
> > which we should strive[2], the Board feels this vision will best meet
> > the needs of our millions of users, including our contributor base.
> >
> > The Board would like FESCo to read through this vision statement, and
> > use it as a basis for implementing changes that will help achieve this
> > vision.  We look forward to working with FESCo and across the whole
> > Fedora Project to continue improving the Fedora distribution.
> >

> > * * *
> > [1] http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-board-meeting/2010-03-04/fedora_board.2010-03-04-17.12.html
> > [2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2009-October/msg00350.html
> >

> As a first stab, I've linked to and incorporated some of the text into a
> document that tries to categorize the types of updates we do in Fedora.
> This document is meant to just categorize and explain, leaving any
> policy regarding -testing, -stable, or karma to other future documents.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Stable_Release_Updates_Proposal

At a more-than-cursory glance these look at least pretty compatible.

 helpful to narrow this document down into things that the Board
statement doesn't cover, and/or desirable changes?  That would make
them two separate but complementary documents, help draw attention to
slight differences between them, and make it easier to call out a
rationale for those differences.