Stable release updates vision

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Thu Mar 11 21:12:18 UTC 2010

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> On Thursday 11 March 2010, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > As noted in our previous minutes[1], the Board was tasked with
> > producing a vision statement for updates to Fedora stable releases.
> > That vision can be found here:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Stable_release_updates_vision
> >
> > This statement is the result of many Board discussions which have
> > taken into consideration issues raised recently in numerous other
> > venues such as the devel list.  After considering these issues
> > carefully, along with other factors such as the broad user base for
> > which we should strive[2], the Board feels this vision will best meet
> > the needs of our millions of users, including our contributor base.
> >
> > The Board would like FESCo to read through this vision statement, and
> > use it as a basis for implementing changes that will help achieve this
> > vision.  We look forward to working with FESCo and across the whole
> > Fedora Project to continue improving the Fedora distribution.
>
> So we're now getting a diktat from the half-unelected Board which appears to
> completely ignore the desires of the majority of our users[1], instead
> repeating already disproven arguments such as the following?

The bases if your argument for [1]:

> [1] http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1337744

I'm sorry but no one with any experience in statistics would take that
seriously.  FWIW, I'm dicktat from the half-elected Board.  If you want to
reference a scientific survey of our users that actually meets the tests
one should use (perhaps we could pay someone?) that's fine.  Referencing
[1] though...  Does not use methodology even close to what it would take
for us to say "majority of our users".  That's not to say the results
wouldn't come out the same, they might but we can't tell at the moment.

	-Mike