idea: suggestion box

Kevin Fenzi kevin at tummy.com
Wed May 5 15:56:32 UTC 2010

Greetings.

I was thinking it might be a nice idea to have Fedora Engineering
Services create for us a "Fedora Suggestion Box".

This would be a way for people to anonymously submit suggestions or
ideas to Fedora for consideration. It could either be a web based
form/app (which would have the advantage of letting us use captchas or
the like and also let us explain what sort of suggestions we want, one
suggestion per submit, etc), or a email address (which would get a lot
more spam, but be easier for folks), or I suppose both.

We then have a group of folks look through the submissions and:

- Drop obvious spam
- Drop obvious things Fedora will never do (ship non free software,
  mp3, legal changes, etc).
- Drop things that don't have an actual suggestion in them.
- Send the rest to a list for interested parties in fedora (Board,
  FESCo, SIGs, etc) to look at and consider.

There would be no promise that a suggestion would be acted on or looked
at, but I think we might end up getting some ideas here that would
would not otherwise get (due to people not knowing where to suggest, or
being afraid they will look foolish, or thinking that their views in
other venues have been ignored).

Of course we could also get a lot of things we can't act on or use.

What do people think of this idea?

kevin