Reasons for hall monitoring

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed May 5 21:26:08 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 04:43:43PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Toshio Kuratomi (a.badger at gmail.com) said:
> > > I can't speak for the other Board members but I do think there are
> > > senses in which we can be non-excellent to each other without using
> > > insults.  If our mailing lists stay cordial, but their content becomes
> > > increasingly redundant or repetitive, that also can contribute to a
> > > negative environment that pushes people away from communicating with
> > > each other.
> >
> > I think you're wrong here.  People post redundant information because they
> > think they're helping.  Helping is being excellent to each other.
>
> I don't see how that makes what Paul said *wrong*. Just because
> people think they're helping, doesn't mean it they actually are, or
> that it doesn't create a negative environment.

It's wrong to say that it means that we are being non-excellent to each
other.  Creating a negative environment doesn't mean that there's
non-excellence going on.  I mean if all your criteria is that you create an
environment that pushes people away from communicating with each other,
there's a lot of things that a re necessary to the proper functioning of
our project that do that.  The basis of hte current policy is
non-excellence.  If you want to also hall monitor redundant and repetivie
posts or anything that creates a negative environment then please, write it
into the policy so that we all know what to expect.

-Toshio