Releases for photographs

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu May 6 22:16:47 UTC 2010

Nicu, thanks -- you correctly noted that photographers have an
interest in their work too.  That's a copyright interest, and we have
ways to deal with that already in Fedora, namely the CLA, soon the
FPCA.  I wanted to clarify something in your answers below, though:

On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 12:28:28AM +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > * Given the rights people generally have in the use of their faces and
> >   bodies in published materials, is this an appropriate place for us
> >   to make an exception to our principle of reusability and
> >   remixability?
>
> I expect we have people in the community happy to allow the usage uf their
> image.

I think we definitely have lots of people like that.  But the issue is
also whether the community at large, including people not in the
pictures, think this is an OK place for us not to be 100% reusable and
remixable.  That's an important point, because we try to maintain that
aspect of Fedora everywhere else, so I wouldn't want to treat it too
lightly.  When someone asks about that exception, it's helpful to show
how we transparently came to a final answer.