question for board members

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri May 7 18:42:14 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs at math.uh.edu> wrote:
> I think that's OK.  We shouldn't be afraid to dump packages from the
> distro when the maintainer goes away.  If someone really wants them,
> someone will step up to contribute them.

Did we ever develop a probational maintainership path that would make
it easier for people who cared about orphaned packages to help with
the workload as a means to show right-action and and packaging
knowledge so they can gain full sponsorship?

Our sponsorship process is very focused on new package submission.
I'd really like an opportunity to work with a new contributor on
existing packages they care about so they could be given the ability
to do the work in our cvs and our bugzilla..but I stand up as
accountable for tagged builds for that package. Give them 6 months or
so working through me to prove to a sponsor review that they know what
they are doing..but let them do the work and make mistakes but in a
way that other people are confident won't impact users because I'm
trusted to review their work before releasing it into publicly
consumable trees.

-jef
-jef