Fedora and MeeGo

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed May 12 20:44:05 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 04:18:04PM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 04:22:38PM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> > Hi Paul,

> > > Thanks for this heads-up Peter -- I've sent a note along to one of the
> > > MeeGo principals at the Linux Foundation, to inquire whether the
> > > Fedora Project is welcome to offer its support to the list found in
> > > that press release.  I'm interested in having Fedora provide a
> > > ready-to-run Fedora spin that shows off MeeGo technologies, and I know
> > > you've been working previously on doing that for Moblin, and now for
> > > MeeGo.  Much appreciated!
> > >
> > > The other entities do appear to be commercial ventures, so if for some
> > > reason the LF is not interested, it's possible the answer may be
> > > different for Red Hat.  If that's so, I'll bring this up with the
> > > appropriate contact points at Red Hat.
> > >
> > > I think the Fedora Project's free-in-all-senses offering is something
> > > that really does help promote MeeGo technologies, so I hope we'll get
> > > a receptive answer.  When that happens the Board and I will work up an
> > > appropriate statement with you -- does that work?
> >
> > I agree, especially as its now part of the Linux Foundation. Also
> > while there have been quite significant changes to the Fedora base
> > they started from (like sysvinit no longer exists) the fact they used
> > the Fedora 12 ARM support to boot strap their ARM port shows that
> > there's still reasonable cross over between the platforms.
> >
> > Let me know where I can help out.
>
> Peter and I were contacted by Brian Proffitt at the Linux Foundation
> today and are working up a response.

*sigh* Today is my day to make blunders on email, apparently.  If I'm
reading recent sites properly, Brian's no longer with the Linux
Foundation, in which case I'll treat this as any press inquiry.  I
still plan to work with Peter, to ensure the answers take into account
current and future work of our Mini SIG.  Sorry about the list noise.