Fedora Board Recap 2010-05-27

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu May 27 18:07:18 UTC 2010

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Meeting:Board_meeting_2010-05-27

== Roll Call ==
* Present: Paul Frields, Josh Boyer, Chris Tyler, Dennis Gilmore, Matt
Domsch, John Poelstra, Colin Walters, Mike McGrath, Christopher Aillon
* Regrets:
* Assigned meeting secretary: Colin Walters

== Agenda ==

=== License agreement for fedorastorm.com ===
https://fedorahosted.org/board/ticket/68
* Logo usage problem fixed as requested
* QUESTION: Is there anyone on the Board who does not support
licensing this site?  If not, what would need to change for you to do
so?
* ACTION: Official Stamp Of Approval

=== Hall monitor policy change ===
https://fedorahosted.org/board/ticket/67
** https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Hall_Monitor_Policy&diff=172746&oldid=171600
** One objection was raised to first added bullet ("...achive: * the
perception of the friendly inviting community")
*** Bullet struck from text.
** Not clear how to balance increased specificity with the demands on
the monitors themselves
* ACTION: continue discussion at future meeting, with input from
current hall monitors
* QUESTION: Is there anyone who does not support the changes made by
Matt and John to this page? What would have to change for you to do
that?

* stickster: Concern from spot this will create more work
* jwb: Somewhat arbitrary, may let threads continue
* spot: Don't want to be in position of having to judge every single
thread for purpose.
** Original purpose was to stop aggressively negative people.
* mmgrath: Are these constraints or tools?  (various opinions: the latter)
* stickster: Need grounds for actions
* spot: People are going to complain they're being profiled
* mdomsch: Would be OK striking threads completely
* stickster: OK for us to say we're comfortable with original policy
* poelstra: Has there been a negative impact on Fedora as a result of
invoking hall monitoring?
** (general discussion): No?
* stickster: Binding with red tape doesn't work well; trying to define
cases encourages more and more language lawyering
* spot: Non-constructive threads are out of scope of hall monitoring
* mdomsch: This was in the original - we can delete it, we have the
technology.  Was hall monitoring an experiment?
* spot: Only one instance where we had to moderate someone for a
period of time, but not justification to get rid of it
* jwb: Uncertain we'll know until we get to another contentious point
* stickster: Treating a symptom and not the disease; doctors treat both
* spot: We want enforcers for something like Ubuntu's Social Contract
* stickster: How do we quantify non-constructiveness?
* (discussion): Not really possible
* ctyler: Ok with removing it
* ACTION: Matt made change to the page
* ACTION: spot to present rationale on advisory-board list

(discussion about additional hall monitors)

=== Fedora 13 release ===
* Board should publicly thank everyone!
* stickster: Offers to create draft

=== Future board topic ===
* Revisiting hall monitoring
* "Poisonous people" problem -- how do we identify and solve it?
* Lots of anecdotal advice, what about practical applications and
examples of where it's been done right and wrong?
* stickster: Hard to root out after it's been embedded for a long time
from particular people
** Look for examples from other communities
** Want to encourage collaboration and interaction, but we've maybe
encouraged growth without establishing clear ground rules
** without looking at the tradeoffs
* ctyler: Need to make Fedora less hospitable for people who make
Fedora less hospitable
* Next Board will take up this issue
** possibly demands a special session, it's a complicated problem

== Next meeting ==
* Thursday, 2010-06-03 UTC 1600
** TENTATIVE
** Regular Board IRC Public meeting
** Potential first seating of new Board members