Candidate Questionnaire

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 17:33:54 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Jared K. Smith
<jsmith at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
>> The elections did not seem to be handled very well this time.
>
> That's as much my fault as anybody else's.  I saw that we were behind
> schedule, so I threw together a straw man schedule to try to get us
> back on track.  John Rose kindly took my straw man schedule and worked
> it over a bit to make it more realistic, and the Fedora Board approved
> it.

Just to be clear, the Fedora Board changed it by extending the
nomination period leaving scant little time for anyone to collect
questionnaires or schedule town halls since both of those activities
block on knowing who the candidates are and really couldn't begin
before today.

>> Issues with this release's elections should
>> get added to the retrospective page so that we can try to do better next time.
>
> Absolutely!

I have plenty of opinions about what went wrong and about how to fix
it in the future but none of that helps extricate ourselves from the
present mess. So what can we do right now?

 Without a questionnaire coordinator handling the processing as has
been done in the past candidates should just go post their answers
before the end of Nov. 10 UTC (the day they were to be published) on
the wiki. Wait until the last minute if you don't want others to see
them. If you are a voter who cares about the process as several have
expressed, volunteer next time to do the work to make that happen.

In the past we once had the situation where a nomination came in late.
After talking to that person about the situation he decided to
withdraw making things easy on everyone. Since this again has happened
on FESCo, perhaps someone from FESCo could make that contact and try
to resolve it amicably?

And then there is town hall scheduling. I would suggest that either
one of the candidates or someone currently from each governance body
step up to schedule those with the candidates ASAP. About all I'm
willing and able to volunteer to do at this point is rounding up
moderators for the town halls once there is a schedule.

John