Corporate sponsorship ( was Re: Going passive )

Robert 'Bob' Jensen bob at fedoraunity.org
Tue Nov 9 23:39:30 UTC 2010

----- "Matt Domsch" <matt at domsch.com> wrote:

> If we were to have a sponsor of equivalent stature to Red Hat,
> undoubtedly as terms of such sponsorship (or really membership if to
> be considered equal), the layout of the Board and privileges would
> get
> re-evaluated.  Given no one is stepping forward to offer several $M
> US, I don't want to travel too far down this hypothetical scenario.

I away start with a joke, I know some don't "get" my sense of humor but it is part of who I am and what part of what makes me so hated by some. "I can't help but wonder if some $100,000 servers are included in that 'several $M US' ;)"

The above should not be taken in any way as pointing at Matt's employer, it is simply a coincidence that I am replying to him, Matt is a fair, honest, decent man in my experience. We all know that we will never see numbers from Red Hat concerning their actual expenditures to Fedora so even suggesting "several $M US" is an insult IMO. Not based in provable facts, seeing that Matt is not internal to Red Hat I doubt that he is qualified to make such a claim.

I have some rhetorical questions to ask. What kind of company would be willing to or be interested in "sponsoring" Fedora at the level that Red Hat does? A software company, a computer hardware company? I can't think of any others. Next I have to ask, why would they want to give that amount of money to Red Hat? Do they have to reimburse Red Hat retroactively for their previous investment? How far back, Red Hat Linux 0.9? Would they get shares in Red Hat like any other investor?

Again all of the above questions are rhetorical, just something to think about as you go about your day as an unpaid worker for Red Hat. Thank you Red Hat for all you have done to enable us to participate we could not have done it with out you. It has had times that have been fun. I just wish that what I call lies would stop, we have to face the facts, Red Hat does indeed OWN Fedora.

-- Bob

|       Robert 'Bob' Jensen        ||       Fedora Unity Founder       |
|       bob at fedoraunity.org        ||      http://fedoraunity.org/     |
|                   http://bjensen.fedorapeople.org/                   |
|                http://blogs.fedoraunity.org/bobjensen                |
|                   http://www.facebook.com/rpjensen                   |