[Ambassadors] Red Hat's investments (was Re: Going passive)

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Nov 10 11:25:41 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:43:56 am Mark Chappell wrote:
> On 10 November 2010 10:32, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
> > What about one global FUDCon accompanied with smaller local events - like
> > one day FADs + hackfests. I see it working for other projects, it's of
> > course more expensive but it helps breaking barriers, makes it easier to
> > meet all people. I can compare EMEA and NA FUDCons. And I really enjoyed
> > NA one.
>
> If you're going to do that, please rotate where you hold it.  It's a
> lot cheaper for Europeans to travel around Europe than to travel over
> to the US, so if you only held them in the US you're putting a
> significant barrier in place for the Europeans.  I would probably have
> come to the last Zurich FUDCon if I hadn't just changed employer and
> country with all the associated expenses.  I'm unlikely to travel to
> the US for a FUDCon.

As I said - save the money from conference expenses to support people flying
around the world. And again - I'm not saying ban local events completely! Just
make them smaller and cheaper one day events - it's important to meet.

Rotation would be more complicated as a majority of contributors are US based
ones and I understand it (and that's why NA events are more valuable - not
saying somehow magically better).

Jaroslav