Corporate sponsorship ( was Re: Going passive )

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 13:59:09 UTC 2010

On 11/10/2010 01:07 PM, Matt Domsch wrote:
> I've never seen anyone, in any office or role, actively set out to
> destroy the Community, or other individuals' involvement, or ramrod
> some unspecified corporate agenda down the throats of contributors.

Well it's a question of certain attitude towards other *DE within our
community does not fall under that category.

You can look at it in various way but it seems to be systematic pattern
in setting stone in their path throughout Fedora history.
They don't get equal presentation on our web page, often decision are
made without their involvement which directly affect them and their
work  and so on and so fourth.

This kind of behaviour directly or indirectly hinders the growth in the
micro community surrounding them hence they will never be able to stand
a chance gain more contributors and live up to their own full potentials.

Personally I've never seen the reason why we have to push and promote a
single *DE given the diversity of our community ( or target a single set
of user base for that matter ) as I see it people want to run the same
OS and the same set of application on their workstation,laptop,Tablet pc
and their phone and have for several years now.

Needles to say Google and Apple realized this and as things are now that
fight is between IOS and Android and none of the *DE we ship ( and even
other OS out there )  are even close to compete against them heck they
have to play like 2 years of catching up and bring some fresh user
experience to table if they are going to succeed so I honestly do not
see the point why this attitude carries on.

As far as I see eventually the one OS and the DE on top of it which
combines the best experience combined between all those devices is the
one that will stand victorious and claim the market out there.

Just my 2. cents on the whole *DE mess..

JBG