[Ambassadors] Red Hat's investments (was Re: Going passive)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Nov 10 22:37:16 UTC 2010

On 11/10/10 2:32 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> My gut feeling is telling me we have started to sacrifice quality of
> package and it's maintainer for quantity of packages and maintainers
>
> Actually this problem is 2 sided
>
> We need to improve maintainers communication ( no response ) with
> reporters and we need to improve reporters response to maintainers (
> needinfo ).
>
> The triage way has proven not to work ( stock response later automatic
> response ). stamped tried and tested...

I think this is simply a case of spending the last few years making it
easy to find and file bugs, while we haven't spent a whole lot of time
making it easier to /fix/ those bugs.  We've added QA, we've grown a
community around testing, we've grown a community around making those
bugs have proper info and are filed in the right place, but I don't see
a growth in the community of people who can actually /fix/ these bugs.

I also agree that we have a growth of maintainers who do not possess the
ability to fix bugs in the software they are maintaining.  We've never
made that a requirement for being a packager in Fedora.

I urge you to take some of this frustration energy and put it toward
efforts to grow a bug /fixing/ community, because we sure could use one.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!