[Ambassadors] Red Hat's investments (was Re: Going passive)

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 23:22:11 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 15:51, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 11.11.2010, 15:36 -0700 schrieb Stephen John Smoogen:
>>
>> After many years of doing things like the above... when people do not
>> name names it just makes things worse. If one is upset enough to bring
>> something up then one is already looking to play the blame game.
>> Everything else is passive aggressive bull malarky.
>
> When I name names, I do wrong and the people I name start yelling at me.
> If I don't I do wrong, too. You cannot do right for everybody.

>> The only additional advice I have is that when a person has reached
>> the stage where all they expect is things to get worse.. it is time to
>> leave. It is no fun to be around a person like that, it is no fun for
>> that person, and it all becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
>
> I'm not going to leave, at least not at this point. I still love Fedora,
> it's values and it's community. I don't get up that easily and I still
> have hope. I'm going to travel to the EMEA FAD next weekend and I'm
> looking forward to meet Jared there. Do you think I'd spend 3 days of my
> rare spare time and pay over 500 EUR from my pocket for this if I
> wouldn't - after all - love Fedora?

If this were a movie, that would be the setup line in Act I.. I have
seen people who thought they were in love or wanted to somehow make
the magic come back again spend a lot more money and time than that.
[And I have seen them go through a long cycle of "oh its working now..
", "no it never changes", "oh its working now". Been there, done that,
and not wanting to do it any-more.

> If people followed your advice, the European community would become very
> small all over sudden.

But possibly a lot happier. The issue was not "you must quit" it was
"if you feel so crappy about everything then it is time to quit". And
in the end everyone has to answer the question... "Why do I feel
crappy? and what can I change to stop feeling so?"

No amount of changes in Fedora, Red Hat, etc is going to fix things
inside of a person. [Whether it be you now, me 10 years ago, or
someone else in a years time.]

[And I will now stop this very special episode of
fedora-advisory-board before I sound any sappier.]

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren