[Ambassadors] Red Hat's investments (was Re: Going passive)

Matt Domsch matt at domsch.com
Fri Nov 12 06:04:05 UTC 2010

>     5. Why does board apply higher standards for hosting, testing,
>        artwork and trademark approval than for any other spin that was
>        ever approved?

Here was my biggest concern.  I want Fedora Ambassadors handing out
something that is produced by the Project as a whole, not by an
incredibly clever individual who had a good idea.  While we can argue
semantics of "is this a spin or not?" the fact remains that by handing
it out at Fedora booths at events, as Ambassadors, in the recepient's
mind, they are getting a Fedora install media.  As such, it should be
of high quality, and represent the best that Fedora can produce.  I'd
like to think that the media produced in the past has met this same
level of scrutiny, as part of the standard release process we've had
in place since before it was called Fedora.  It feels like extra
burden only because the idea sprouted quite late in the release
process schedule, such that the standard methods and levels of
scrutiny, which are normally applied by many people over months, was
requested to be done over hours or days.

I'm hoping this begins a constructive conversation about what we would
ideally like to hand out to people at events, representing the
Project's best efforts, given the newly relaxed constraint that we've
got 9GB to work with now instead of ~4.3GB.  I thank you for doing the
research to show that financially, double-layer media is now
affordable, and for proving one method that can take advantage of this
relaxed constraint.

Thanks,
Matt