Fedora vision & more specific goals

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Nov 16 21:47:10 UTC 2010

On 11/16/10 12:59 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> I hope this gets your creative juices flowing. Let me know where the
> pandas have gotten to my brain and/or what ideas you have for goals or
> how to better scope these goals.

These goals sound wonderful.  However, these goals sound like something
for a developer organization.  Fedora isn't that (anymore?).  Fedora
is/has become a community of packagers.  People who can grab a tarball
from the Internet, change some values in a .spec template, issue some
commands to get a build through, and call it good.  Bugs?  Oh that's
upstream's problem, go talk to them.  Features?  Upstream as well, don't
look at me.  Writing new software?  Naaah.  Testing?  Sure, we can do
that, sortof, on some releases.

By and large, we're just packagers and testers, with a few exceptions.
Perhaps there is a large enough subcommunity of people who are actual
code writers who can help with your goals, but mostly our work force
would be great at getting whatever software somebody else writes
packaged up and into the distro, and some level of testing on it.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!