Effective communication in the Fedora Community

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 17 15:20:09 UTC 2010

I am starting a new thread as we're veering a bit off-topic here.

On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 14:11 +0000, Robert 'Bob' Jensen wrote:
> I disagree, if someone disagrees with an agenda item there should be no
> requirement that they have an alternative idea. If a discussion is
> killed by someone playing "Devil's Advocate" perhaps there is another
> reason it died... like being flat out stupid.

Perhaps in the situation of thinking an idea "flat out stupid" but
having no alternative, non-stupid idea to bring to the table, it's best
to simply not participate and let the idea die on accord of its own
merits. I'm not sure what benefit putting down ideas without offering
any hope of forward movement does for anyone involved if a problem needs
to be solved. Am I missing something?

>  "demotivates" what
> demotivates... having some @*hat jump down your throat and badger you
> every time you express your opinion or object to someone's agenda...
> That is demotivating to the community.

People have every right to express their opinion. I would much prefer
that they do so with civility and without ill-will and offensive
language. If they opt to not follow common courtesy, they are certainly
not entitled to be taken seriously or accorded any respect irregardless
of how brilliant their ideas may be.

I don't think it's a bad think to demotivate folks from engaging is this
kind of ill-behavior.

~m