Fedora vision & more specific goals

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 01:10:39 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 07:11, Robert 'Bob' Jensen <bob at fedoraunity.org> wrote:

> ----- "Máirín Duffy" <duffy at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
>> A quick note on effective participation in this thread:
>>
>> Please, if you have some opposition to some idea expressed in this
>> thread, please propose a alternative idea or an expansion of the idea
>> -
>> I would love to hear your ideas on how we can move forward and
>> achieve
>> our vision.
>>
>> Playing devil's advocate and halting discussion doesn't help us move
>> forward and at worst demotivates the folks who are proposing ideas
>> and
>> trying to move forward and halts the entire process. I do not want
>> this
>> thread to be want this thread to be a carnival game where each post
>> is
>> target practice, rather I'd love to see a brainstorm where each post
>> is
>> a new idea, each made possible by the ideas before it.
>>

> I disagree, if someone disagrees with an agenda item there should be no requirement that they have an alternative idea. If a discussion is killed by someone playing "Devil's Advocate" perhaps there is another reason it died... like being flat out stupid. "demotivates" what demotivates... having some @*hat jump down your throat and badger you every time you express your opinion or object to someone's agenda... That is demotivating to the community.

The only people I have found demotivated for having to come up with an
alternative are the people who love to spend their time coming up with
a thousand ways to piss on others. I get a lot more "Gee I am glad
someone finally told her to put up or shut up." than I ever get "Wow
you really should just let people say whatever they want when they
want."

Most of the time discussions are killed because no one wants to deal
with the person who just seems to enjoy replying with how stupid
everything is because they of course could do better.

> So at this point my alternative idea is we have Devil's Food cake.
>
> -- Bob

Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren