[Ambassadors] Red Hat's investments (was Re: Going passive)

Greg DeKoenigsberg greg.dekoenigsberg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 17:02:21 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Max Spevack <mspevack at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> > If we have a guideline that wants to make sure everyone is civil
> > towards each other and do not engage in name calling, we need to think
> > about what we need to do if someone does violate it deliberately.
> > Policy without teeth might as well as not exist.
>
> Addressing *this point* (in the general case) should be the first thing
> that the CWG considers, and then recommends.
>
> Call it "code of conduct".  Call it "how do we deal with poisonous
> people"?  Call it "hall monitors 2.0".  Call it whatever you want.  But
> I think this is the place to start.

I hope that we call it a code of conduct.  Here's a wild stab:

1. No swearing.  No exceptions.  (I look forward to the first time I get
kickbanned from the list for violating this one.)

2. Discuss ideas, not people.  No name calling, no questioning people's
motives.  You don't like the idea?  Confront the idea.  Not the person.

3. If you must complain about a person's conduct, take it to the CWG or
whomever they designate, and have clear policies for doing so.

4. The CWG needs a standard policy for violations.  Maybe something like
this:
  a. First step, private warning, standard language.
  b. Second step, one week suspension from mailing list / planet / whatever.
  c. And so on.

5. Hold Redhatters and non-Redhatters alike responsible for their words.  I
think there's a perception, fair or not, that Redhatters get away with
more.

Just my $0.02.  I know it's difficult to legislate civility, but there comes
a time when it's unavoidable.  I suppose people can be as cranky as they
want in private conversations, but public conversations reflect on all of
us, and must be moderated from time to time.

Personally, I would love not to have this conversation anymore.  :)

--g