Why attitudes matter

Randall Berry randyn3lrx at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 16:09:18 UTC 2010

On 11/26/2010 09:07 AM, Scott Glaser wrote:

> I have a suggestion, before making comments about how things are being
> handled in the Fedora IRC channel, maybe all of those making the
> generalizations based on a one sided view of an event posted in a
> blog, might actually want to spend some serious time in the #fedora
> channel. By serious time I mean more than 10 or 20 minutes a day, more
> like 8 - 10 hours a day for about a month.

 Yeah, right. Like that's gonna happen. It's much easier to sit back an
complain than it is to participate and try to make things better.

 Unlike the starter of this thread, I do spend quite a bit of my time in
#fedora. I see what goes on and what sort of people are dealt with on a
day to day basis. Although I do not participate as much as some, I do at
least watch what goes on and try to help when I know the answer. There
are others with much more knowledge than myself that make their best
efforts to help. I understand how easy it is to lose ones temper when
people you are trying to help can't even be bothered to help themselves.

 There is no spoon feeding in #fedora instead tools and links are
provided so that one can help themselves. #fedora provides an avenue to
find such information and help solve problems when they are not
documented. Many people can't be bothered to help themselves. They won't
use google, they won't read a man page, they won't follow a provided
link to a tutorial, they won't follow any direction properly, instead
they want all the work to be done for them. When that's not provided
they complain and cause trouble in the channel.

 As the saying goes, you're either part of the solution or part of the
problem. I challenge all the those who have something to complain about
how things are done in #fedora to put their money where their mouth is
and help out in #fedora. If you don't participate and all you do is
complain then all you are is part of the problem.

-Randy Berry