Why attitudes matter

Kevin Fenzi kevin at tummy.com
Fri Nov 26 17:34:42 UTC 2010

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 22:25:05 -0600
Rick Sewill <rsewill at gmail.com> wrote:

> Question please: is #fedora IRC logged?

It can be by anyone in the channel... there is no official logging
done.

> I don't know if it's a good idea to log the #fedora IRC.
> What do people think?  What would people do with the logs?
>
> My reason to ask if there are logs is to see if there is a
> misunderstanding of what happened -or- if there is something that
> needs to be addressed.

Freenode discourages doing so:

from: http://freenode.net/channel_guidelines.shtml

"If you're considering publishing channel logs, think it through. The
freenode network is an interactive environment. Even on public
channels, most users don't weigh their comments with the idea that
they'll be enshrined in perpetuity. For that reason, few participants publish logs.

If you're publishing logs on an ongoing basis, your channel topic should
reflect that fact. Be sure to provide a way for users to make comments
without logging, and get permission from the channel owners before you start.
If you're thinking of "anonymizing" your logs (removing information that
identifies the specific users), be aware that it's difficult to do it well—
replies and general context often provide identifying information
which is hard to filter.

If you just want to publish a single conversation,
be careful to get permission from each participant.
Provide as much context as you can. Avoid the temptation to publish or distribute
logs without permission in order to portray someone in a bad light.
The reputation you save will most likely be your own. "

kevin