Why attitudes matter

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 17:51:11 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Scott Glaser <sonar_guy at c-ccom.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 11:07:13 -0500
> Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
>> I've spent a lot of time in #fedora. I left bc of the negativity.
>> Don't assume my sympathy for this fellow is blind.
>>
>> ~m
>
> I have been in the channel since its inception and do not recall you
> being in there very much, but that is not the point. Please do come
> back and see how things have changed. I believe you would have a
> different perspective with the changes that have been implemented since
> the formation of the IRC Support SIG.

There is absolutely no doubt that great improvements have been made
over the past couple of years. Several years ago it was a routine
thing for people to leave #fedora and show up in other channels
practically in tears. I can't even remember the last time that
happened, it used to happen every week.

I've largely stopped spending any time in #fedora though too for the
same reason. I just don't enjoy being there and I do enjoy being in
other channels, so I choose to spend my time in other channels. I do
think the lingering unpleasantness still discourages others from
helping and it also discourages lurking and learning which prepares
newer folks to be helpers later.

But all that says is that it isn't appealing to me yet as a place to
park. It is improving and I have no doubt that you and others are
working hard to continue improving the experience people have in
#fedora. This isn't as easy at flipping a light switch. We are armed
with good people working toward the end of a better future #fedora and
we need to appreciate their efforts and not expect things to become
perfect overnight.

John