[Ambassadors] Red Hat's investments (was Re: Going passive)

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Nov 27 23:16:30 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 18:16:38 -0500,
  Max Spevack <mspevack at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2010, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>
> My concern is that you don't want to end up with a potential double
> standard where a Red Hatter who is paid to work on Fedora "gets away"
> with something because of their paid job responsibilities.  "You can't
> kick me off this list or out of this piece of the project!  It's my job
> to be here!"

I don't want anyone in that situation. While in theory Red Hat could try to
influence the project to keep the person around, the more likely reality
is that the FPL could talk to the person's manager and ask them to give a
yank on the leash if the behavior continues. I think the latter is more likely
to happen than the former.

> It's for that reason that I have always believed and said that the Red
> Hatters who participate in Fedora (whether they do so 10% of their paid
> time or 100% of their paid time) have a responsibility to act
> professionally and courteously at all times, regardless of what is going
> on.  And that should be enforced by their managers, and their
> performance should (in part) be determined based on how they conduct
> themselves in public communities.

We all should be courteous, especially while strongly disagreeing with someone.