Long term goals

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun Nov 28 19:29:10 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 10:56:18 -0500,
  Jon Stanley <jonstanley at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 3) While this cannot happen without item 2 (as has recently been
> > proven), we need to increase our efforts to foster a culture of
> contribution in Fedora.  While we've done reasonably well at this,
> there's always room for improvement. One area that I think that we've
> done well at, but still needs improvement, is the recruitment and
> retention of "non-traditional" contributors. This would include areas
> such as marketing, design, and Ambassadors (though a lot of
> Ambassadors, myself included, do have other roles within the project
> as well, and that should be encouraged as well). Here's where I need
> help, as while I recognize that this needs to be done, I have no
> concrete plans or ideas of how to accomplish it.

We also could use a few more project managers as the only ones we have seem
to be sponsored by Red Hat.

I think one theme I have seen across a few groups is better documentation
on how to get involved is needed. I have seen this mentioned in the design
team, the infrastructure team, Spins SIG and for running the elections. This
includes both steps to contact the team and description of specific jobs
or tasks people might do. Some people seem to be reluctant to volunteer
when they aren't sure what they are committing to and others want to help,
but don't know what to do.