Fedora Board Recap 2010-11-29

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 22:53:45 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Chris Tyler <chris at tylers.info> wrote:
> [...]
> * spot: a renewed focus on QA, need some clever ideas on how to improve
> the quality and quantity of testing on Fedora packages. Bodhi karma
> system is blocking for lack of testers. Need a way to easily engage
> users in testing (low-hanging fruit), e.g., does this package still work
> after update?
> ** jstanley: how do we recruit users to this?
> ** spot: maybe karma rewards, physical rewards, UI tools to offer
> testing opportunities to the user
> ** jsmith: fedora-easy-karma is a starting point for this
> ** spot: f-e-k is fairly unknown tool
> ** jsmith: would love to see a set of resources to enable testing using
> VMs running on Fedora infrastructure (testing with both QA and Spins)
> *** ctyler: we should make it easier to do this on one's personal system
> too
> *** smooge: QA is working on this
> *** spot: not sure those are intended to be publicly-accessible, though
> * spot: we need to make Fedora more fun: make being involved and
> interacting easier and more fun, reduce drudgery involved in setting up
> to Do Things in Fedora
> ** Fedora role-playing game: points for doing stuff within Fedora
> ** watch for FUDCon session
> * mdomsch: attended Ubuntu dev conference. Different model (than we use
> for FUDCon/FAD), got several hundred people together in one place fairly
> easily -> energy and excitement
> ** spot: noted that jsmith and pfrields have been spent effort trying to
> let people know we have funding to get people together to do things
> ** jsmith, spot: funding is (still) available for bringing people to
> FUDCon
> ** caillon: do we require trip reports from funded attendees?
> ** jsmith, jstanley: yes, at least blogging
> ** toshio: quality of WLAN is important for blogging
> * mdomsch: other observations about Ubuntu conference: dev conf, not
> user's conf; had sessions about proposed features/directions/blueprints,
> as well as new/current work; remote collaboration (irc with
> channel-per-room on projector, gobby, audio recordings/streaming with
> icecast) worked well; session schedule hashed out in advance.
> ** spot: mdomsch - should share with FUDCon planners
> * jsmith: would love to see FUDCon in APAC
> * jsmith: need to revisit/rework Spins, possibly decouple from main
> release timing
> * jsmith: time to revisit comps (will be hot topic!), need to better
> address advances in pkg management, provide for wider range of use-cases
> ** spot: perhaps that's less of a big-picture goal and more something we
> should pass to FESCo
> ** jsmith: it's one of the over-arching goals that needs to receive
> focus
> * jsmith: FADs: more of them, more vocal and explicit about the fact
> that anyone can propose them, need to communicate clear goals and
> results. FAD-a-month?
> * mdomsch: would like to see more emphasis on the cloud effort (feels

I encourage those on the board  (as well as anyone else, of course)
who are interested in the cloud stuff and/or who have ideas about how
to solve any of the problems listed here, to come to the cloud meeting
and discuss  thoughts with the folks who are active in the Cloud SIG.
Or better yet, come and roll up your sleeves - there is plenty to do.
:)

Meetings are Thursdays, 2100 UTC (4pm EST; 1pm PST) in
#fedora-meeting.  There is usually also a fairly decent crowd /
discussion going in #fedora-cloud, if you'd like to pop in or lurk
there.

Continually advertising for the cloud group,

-Robyn