Proposal for the new Fedora Project

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 00:15:20 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 06:45:39PM -0400, David Nalley wrote:

> I find this conversation extremely interesting. I even remember
> discussing the importance of fedorahosted with you not too many months
> distant. I also see even the 'traditional' desktop folks are talking
> about this. At OLF earlier this month, Stormy Peters, the executive
> directory of the Gnome Foundation gave a talk on 'Stealing the
> Desktop' and how the cloud is becoming the platform, and that it lacks
> the 'freedom' that we take for granted with our Linux installations.
> Phil Robb, the HP's Open Source & Linux group's Engineering Manager
> gave a presentation on the 'Irrelevance of the Desktop' So I certainly
> think you aren't alone in your observations.
>
> So your proposal talks about what the end goal is (ASF-like
> organization that fosters cloud and other groups and helps provide the
> tools around it) what steps in the next 6 months to a year would put
> us on the path to achieving that?

The biggest thing that I find missing in writing open source client-side web
applications is a good standard library with widgets.  javascript has a few
decent libraries (like jquery) but they're not meant to be complete like the
python or php standard libraries.  There's only a few that provide a means
of extension from within the scripts.  Since making separate http requests
is inefficient, javascript (and css) files really should have some sort of
standard buildsystem that combines multiple js and css into a single file
each.  There's not a standard widget toolkit like gtk+ or qt.

In some ways I feel like the client side web is currently like X in the days
when the Athena widget set was the best thing going.

-Toshio