Proposal for the new Fedora Project

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Fri Oct 1 13:45:52 UTC 2010

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, David Nalley wrote:

> Hi Mike:
>
> I find this conversation extremely interesting. I even remember
> discussing the importance of fedorahosted with you not too many months
> distant. I also see even the 'traditional' desktop folks are talking
> about this. At OLF earlier this month, Stormy Peters, the executive
> directory of the Gnome Foundation gave a talk on 'Stealing the
> Desktop' and how the cloud is becoming the platform, and that it lacks
> the 'freedom' that we take for granted with our Linux installations.
> Phil Robb, the HP's Open Source & Linux group's Engineering Manager
> gave a presentation on the 'Irrelevance of the Desktop' So I certainly
> think you aren't alone in your observations.
>
> So your proposal talks about what the end goal is (ASF-like
> organization that fosters cloud and other groups and helps provide the
> tools around it) what steps in the next 6 months to a year would put
> us on the path to achieving that?

Step one is buy in from the board
Step two is finding partnership with other groups.  The mozilla foundation
for example.
Step three is finding someone or creating a small group to oversee the
new development.  Much like FESCo does with the OS today.

Those are the "next 6 month" goals I'd put forth.

	-Mike