Proposal for the new Fedora Project

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Fri Oct 1 17:21:44 UTC 2010

Mike McGrath (mmcgrath at redhat.com) said:
> > I suspect going in this direction would have significant consequences on our day
> > to day operations.
> >
> > By not focusing on an end-user/developer product, our contributor base is
> > likely to take a pretty large hit. Our normal progression is user ->
> > contributor, and if you're starting out as an app incubator, you're not
> > going to have any users until the apps reach a certain stage of maturity.
> >

> I'm not a big fan of turning all of our users into contributors.  The
> whole quality vs quantity problem.

Not saying we need to convert *all* of our users into contributors; merely
saying that our current product gives us a built-in base of relevant people
from which to draw contributors. If we start out working on services, and don't
yet have any deployable services for people to try, we're going to have a much
harder time pulling in new contributors. Generally, for new projects to
attract contributors, it needs to be at some minimum level of usefulness.

Bill