Using Fedora Linux, using a usage restricted trademark?

Matt Domsch matt at domsch.com
Mon Oct 18 16:09:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 05:17:03PM +0200, Sascha Thomas Spreitzer wrote:
> Dear board,
>
> a question that got into my head about using Fedora Linux;
> - Is it needed to state the (accpetable) use of Fedora Linux somewhere?
>

> Fedora Linux includes several "Fedora" trademarked material which
> usage is restricted.
> I am asking myself whether using the compilation of source, binaries
> and media which results in
> the Fedora Linux is granted or must be granted and in which way?

I'm trying to understand the question.  Do you ask "are the trademark
restrictions transitive to a field of use?"

For example, say I'm in the nuclear power plant business, and I want
to use systems running Fedora software in my business.  And, for
argument, say the Fedora trademark rules had an explicit restriction:
you may not use Fedora-trademarked software in a nuclear power plant.
Could I then use Fedora software?  Probably not.  Would Fedora accept
into its repositories a piece of software such a license?  I believe
not.  That would violate our policy of following the OSI on this
point, where restrictions against persons, groups, or fields of
endeavor are not permitted.  http://opensource.org/docs/osd

But that isn't what we have with the Fedora trademarks.  There is no
restriction on the field of use by an end user.  There are
restrictions on what you can distribute and call "Fedora" or make use
of the trademarks to indicate the name or branding of a product, from
a producer perspective, but not a consumer.  I don't have to agree to
a trademark license agreement to visit a Fedora-approved-branded
website, and I don't have to agree to a trademark license to run
Fedora-branded software.

Fedora is distributed under the Fedora License Agreement:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/Licenses/LicenseAgreement13
which does have limitations on redistribution of trademarked items,
and follows US Export Control law, but does not otherwise limit
field of use.

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist, Dell Office of the CTO