[Ambassadors] Formal request for approval of the multi-desktop DVD (Re: Board meeting recap, 2010 10-18)

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 19 02:24:58 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 02:10 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>       * It needs to be tested. The prototype is available for three
>         weeks now at http://sspreitzer.fedorapeople.org/torrents/ -
>         please test!
>         We will make an F14 dual layer version once live images of TC2
>         are available.

Three weeks this coming Thursday. It's still Monday here.

You mentioned on IRC that some testing has already been done; is there
any wiki page with the results or any other testing data available?

Some questions with my UX designer cap on:

- For the dual layer, how do you intend to help users understand which
side is which? (I'm guessing one side of the dual-layer is 32-bit, the
other 64-bit?)

- Does the manufacturer have a way of labeling the full center plastic
ring or is it only just a narrow strip as with the SUSE discs?

- If only a thin plastic ring is available, do you have any idea from
the manufacturer on the character length limits of the label and a draft
of what you would have it say for each side? How about character length
limits for a wider center label?

- Are these going to be provided in a printed sleeve? If so, do you have
any mockups/designs/copy for the sleeve?

- What style sleeve - cardboard pocket or one with a plastic ring?

It seems since it would be printed dual-layer, it would be difficult to
provide a good label for the disc making the sleeve design even more
critical for identifying the disc and instructing users on how to use
it.

>       * The (one and only) desktop (TM) must not be referred to as the
>         "GNOME". We are not, please look at
>         http://cwickert.fedorapeople.org/screenshots/f13-multi-desktop-dvd.png
>         GNOME is called "Fedora 14 Live" just like the ISO and is the
>         default selection. The only reference to the name GNOME is on
>         the filesystem. We will change this if it makes you happy.

I have a few concerns about the design of this menu:

- Does every item need to mention Fedora 13?
- Can the entire disk be verified with a single menu item?
- Could the names for each of the desktop items be a bit more
  friendly and readable?

E.g., rather than this, which I think is a little overwhelming to read:

* Fedora-13-i686-Live
* Verify and Boot Fedora-13-i686-Live
* Fedora-13-i686-Live-KDE
* Verify and Boot Fedora-13-i686-Live-KDE
* Fedora-13-i686-Live-LXDE
* Verify and Boot Fedora-13-i686-Live-LXDE
* Fedora-13-i686-Live-XFCE
* Verify and Boot Fedora-13-i686-Live-XFCE

Could it maybe instead read like this, which I think is a bit more approachable:

* Boot Fedora Live
* Boot Fedora Live KDE
* Boot Fedora Live LXDE
* Boot Fedora Live XFCE
* Verify media

?

> Can we now please get the formal approval for the media? We cannot
> afford to loose another week because we want the media available for the
> F14 release events.

Board members, could we add this to the agenda on Thursday 21 Oct? We
were going to meet at 2 pm to discuss the codenames, right?

Otherwise, it could be added to next Monday's (25 Oct) agenda. I'm not
sure if it's possible to approve a trademark request without quorum, or
over the mailing list? (Can any old-timer board members verify if this
is or is not the case?)

~m