December 2010 Fedora Election Plan

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 21:42:09 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 10/19/2010 04:54 PM, inode0 wrote:
>> I think it is extremely unlikely that it will be a burden to people to
>> find 5 minutes to vote in a 9 day window including 2 weekends. But
>> this is now in the hands of others to sort out however they please.
>>
>> One final word of warning to whoever else tries to help - expect at
>> every step of the process you will be greeted by criticism. After
>> three minutes thread was already a nice illustration of why I am no
>> longer willing to do this.
>
> Sorry John, I didn't mean to come across like this was a personal
> attack. My intent was to raise awareness of a potential issue with
> attendance at the polls.

Stephen,

I didn't take what you said as a personal attack. Just as criticism
without any suggestion as to how to make it acceptable to you. Would
starting voting one day earlier make it ok? Or would extending it two
days after that weekend make it ok? Or what?

> I agree we want these elections to happen within one month, for historic
> reasons. Perhaps we could move it up half a week so that polls close on
> Wednesday November 24th instead. It seems to me that blocking out ten
> days for scheduling the town halls might be a bit excessive. Maybe we
> could manage that in seven?

There really aren't 10 days blocked out for scheduling town halls. We
need to have the questionnaires completed, posted to the wiki, and
time for the voters to digest them prior to the town halls. So
scheduling the town halls can occur any time between when the
candidates are known and a few days after the publishing of the
questionnaire answers. If we cut back to one town hall per election I
think we could squeeze a few days out of the time left for town halls.
Or certainly a day can be removed from the town hall week and the
questionnaire week to obtain a couple extra days later in the process.

The Board certainly can change the window for the voting a bit, extend
it a little either way. But the truth is that only about 130 people
are going to vote no matter when we vote or how long we allow for
voting. The 30 day rule is a Board rule for its elections. No one is
going to cry foul if we extent the election a week past that and it
wasn't the justification for anything in particular. It is to
encourage timely elections, not cause problems.

John