Using Fedora Linux, using a usage restricted trademark?

Paul Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 22:44:32 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 12:28 PM, Sascha Thomas Spreitzer
<sspreitzer at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Maybe off-topic:
> The agreement says: "Copyright (C) 2010 Fedora Project."
> As far as I know from property law is, that only natural and
> juristical persons are ilegable to hold/own property. Fedora Project
> is no such person, nor holder/owner of the Trademark, thus this
> copyright claim is forceless.
> It should look like "Copyright (C) RedHat Inc." to put it in force.
> Of course, I am no lawyer. But given this is correct, RedHat as the
> "intellectual property" holder/owner, who did not state any USE
> allowance until today.
> Thus using Fedora today can be subject of uncertain contract relation
> (tolerated/illegal)?

That piece of text ("Copyright (C) 2010 Fedora Project") is in error
and has been removed -- thanks for alerting us to it Sascha. I'm not
sure whether I understand the rest of your statement here completely,
but as far as I know (IANAL), this error notwithstanding, Fedora
continues to have no restrictions on use.

Paul