[Ambassadors] Formal request for approval of the multi-desktop DVD (Re: Board meeting recap, 2010 10-18)

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 18:25:58 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 11:15:28AM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On 10/21/10 6:12 AM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > As I already said to Jesse: It seems the board is setting way higher
> > standards for testing or QA and has way more concerns for artwork or
> > infrastructure than for any other spin that was ever approved. To me and
> > many other ambassadors this looks as if the board is trying to
> > anticipate our volunteer work.
>
> Completely incorrect.
>
> A) Every other spin has to be proposed and approved prior to the Feature
> Freeze of a release.  We're well past that for this.
>
> B) This is not a normal spin.  Normal spins are generated by well
> understood tools already in the Fedora distribution with established
> usage knowledge, and are produced nightly for testing, and at each
> milestone.  This is not.

It seems to me this isn't the first time people have felt the need to
turn away a very late-breaking change, even though everyone's got all
the best intentions in trying to do something cool.  Can we use this
as an opportunity to figure out what we as a project could do better,
in terms of our schedule, to let contributors know points after which
changes (beyond packages or features) should be deferred to the next
release?  I know we have schedules for spins, rel-eng, and
development, but what could we do better to make sure groups like
Ambassadors are aware of them and not laboring hard at the last minute
only to be told "no"?

Perhaps we should add specific schedule items to the Ambassadors
schedule?  Or is it more appropriate to ask that changes like this be
worked through on specific topical lists like rel-eng or devel?