Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-10-21 - special meeting

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 22 08:36:18 UTC 2010

Am Donnerstag, den 21.10.2010, 16:13 -0400 schrieb Jon Stanley:

> * We need to figure out what spins are
> ** Mega DVD put all desktop choices in GRUB. Not necessarily best
> approach, why not DE selection in GDM?

     1. Because this decision already assumes that people want to use
        GNOME. The login manager is already part of a spin and part of
        the desktop experience. Why not use KDM or LXDM to select?
     2. The installer just copies an image of the media to the hard
        drive, therefor the whole content of the media would end up on
        the installed system. It is not possible to install individual
        spins then.

> ** Two types of spins - Desktop Environments and Functional
> (Electronics, Design)
> ** Does anyone practically use them? Issue with live usb eating itself
> when out of disk space
> ** mdomsch added agenda item to FUDCon Tempe; Board should lead
> discussion on future of Spins and bring up at FUDcon

I remember the discussion about the target audience (if spins are
allowed to define their own target audience). We were to ask a couple of
questions which we did but we never heard back from the board. Judging
from the result of the new target audience definition it seems our
replies were not taken into account.

I hope there will be many spin owners around in Tempe and the board will
consult then in this time.

> === Dual-Layer DVD Ambassadors' Request ===
> * Board isn't opposed to the idea, but dislikes the timing of the
> request, well past feature freeze

This is not a feature as it does not meet any of the definitions given
in the feature policy. Therefore the normal ambassadors schedule for
media production applies and we were in time with that schedule - at
least we were until it got delayed.

> ** We're not saying no to the concept, it's a good idea, but we want
> to make sure things are done right
> ** Most spins are not provided as official physical media

Huh? The EMEA ambassadors are doing desktop, KDE, Xfce and LXDE.

> ** Mega DVD is available for review:
> *** torrent: http://sspreitzer.fedorapeople.org/torrents/
> *** direct download: http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/mega-dvd-test/
> ** Major concerns are:
> *** Needs to be built on Fedora infrastructure

Shouldn't be a problem.

> *** Needs to have basic QA

Done.

> *** Needs polish/artwork/sleeves

We had to do this in the past and we can do it again within a day.

> * We need to establish requirements for approving something like this
> ** https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Media_Handout_Requirements (mdomsch)

In general I like this list, nevertheless a few comments:

      * Media artwork: Artwork must clearly describe what is on the
        media. Example: "Fedora Desktop, i686 architecture"

"Fedora Desktop" is not a clear description as the frequent questions
show.

      * Media sleeve artwork: Sleve must have Fedora-themed artwork

I suggest to skip this paragraph. For F13, the EMEA ambassadors did Xfce
and LXDE, 500 each. Sleeves can only be produces in batches of 1000.
Therefor we just used blank paper sleeves with a window that showed the
media.

      * Quality Assurance

While I agree to the requirements I'd like to point out that we are
currently not doing this for most media - no matter if they are for
download or give-away.

      * Corresponding Source Code Compliance

I had no idea we are doing such thing ad obviously it has not been done
for quite a while.

> * Board to revisit once requirements are documented.

Great, at least another week of delay!

Can we please have a definite decision whether this media is approved
for F14 or not in the next board meeting?

Regards,
Christoph