December 2010 Fedora Election Plan

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 01:40:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 19:00, Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip at kanarip.com> wrote:
> Matt Domsch wrote:
>> I'm sensing a growing frustration from some of the people who have
>> been heavily involved in Fedora for a long time, a sense of burnout.
>> We've all felt it from time to time.  The lack of people stepping
>> forward to take on leadership tasks, such as the Spins SIG leader, the
>> election coordinator, and similar is concerning to me.  Am I alone in
>> this?
>>

> No you're not.
>
> I can't explain why concisely but Fedora was and is no longer an awesome
> engineering platform where I could Get Things Done.
>
> Slowly but surely I've become less interested in making Free Software better
> through the Fedora Project or enabling other people to make Free Software
> better through the Fedora Project, and instead I've been focusing on Free
> Software projects that actually appreciate my involvement and do not throw up
> roadblocks - I can Get Things Done again and that's what I'm doing it all for;
> it makes me happy.

Distributions and communities can only grow so large before the
complexity of maintaining all the parts as in 'integrated' whole just
break down and aren't fun anymore. Where that level of fun is going to
be different for a lot of people, and in general people who are most
likely going to 'start' a distro are more likely going to be ones who
find those limits quicker.

Our best hope is to figure out how to allow pioneers to go off and
find/build new things versus trying to keep everyone 'stuck in the
commune walls'.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.