Fedora Board Recap 2010-10-25

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 02:19:36 UTC 2010

2010/10/27 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>:
> Would you feel better if the Board said "not approved for F14"?

Yes, absolutely.

> We felt
> bad because there weren't guidelines in place when we were asked, but I
> hope the requestors are under no illusions that this is anything but a
> late-in-the-cycle request.

You felt bad, so you drafted requirements, and waived half of them?
That is not straight-forward at all.

> If anyone is afraid of blame please place the blame on me. It's my fault
> if this doesn't ship for F14. Nobody should be blaming rel-eng for
> *anything* here, nor setting them up to be blamed.

It has nothing to do with placing blame.  It has everything to do with
the Board answering a direct question with a direct answer.  IMHO,
that answer should have been:

"This request is being made too late in the development cycle to be
approved for F14.  However, the Board recognizes that we lack clear
and concise criteria around such request and will be addressing this
shortly to close this gap for future releases."

>> > I'm a little confused about this though. Anybody is free, of course, to
>> > produce awesome royal beefy-ness spins, but is it appropriate for those
>> > to be produced using funding provided by Fedora to promote Fedora?
>>
>> Yes.  Why wouldn't it be appropriate?
>
> Is my custom Hello Kitty spin with all Fedora graphics replaced by cute
> pink kittens fair game then? Should it be?

Assuming there are no trademark issues with Hello Kitty, sure.  Why
shouldn't it be?  Are we going to continue to have this odd circular
conversation, or are you (or the Board) going to list the actual
rationale for that requirement?

josh