December 2010 Fedora Election Plan

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 03:34:33 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 07:40:37PM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 19:00, Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip at kanarip.com> wrote:
> > Matt Domsch wrote:
> >> I'm sensing a growing frustration from some of the people who have
> >> been heavily involved in Fedora for a long time, a sense of burnout.
> >> We've all felt it from time to time.  The lack of people stepping
> >> forward to take on leadership tasks, such as the Spins SIG leader, the
> >> election coordinator, and similar is concerning to me.  Am I alone in
> >> this?
> >>

> > No you're not.
> >
> > I can't explain why concisely but Fedora was and is no longer an awesome
> > engineering platform where I could Get Things Done.

Actually, I think this pretty concisely describes my burnout.  It's getting
harder and harder for things to get done.  (Yes, I realize this coming from
the person that has to play the bad guy about bundled libraries all the time
keeping packages out but... I've recently asked if we should relax those
guidelines since it seems that no one wants to enforce them consistently.)

The reason I ran Fedora and contributed to it was because it was a community
of people who were able to, through their own hard work, make a difference
in the development, direction, usage, and vision of a Linux distribution.
If the distribution that you found didn't meet your needs there was a very
good chance that you could contribute your time to making it what you
wanted.  RHL had been a very different experience where the OS was
semi-sacred territory where you might or might not be able to affect the
direction depending on who the package maintainer was and what communication
channels you knew to use.  I was most affected by the impression that
fedora.us, a community apart from the distribution, had succeeded in doing
what Red Hat Linux had tried but silently failed to do with Contrib|Net.

> Distributions and communities can only grow so large before the
> complexity of maintaining all the parts as in 'integrated' whole just
> break down and aren't fun anymore. Where that level of fun is going to
> be different for a lot of people, and in general people who are most
> likely going to 'start' a distro are more likely going to be ones who
> find those limits quicker.
>
> Our best hope is to figure out how to allow pioneers to go off and
> find/build new things versus trying to keep everyone 'stuck in the
> commune walls'.

+100

I think that in order to keep a growing and vibrant community we need to
diversify our product offerings.  Give people the resources to build their
own visions of a Fedora Product with other like minded people.  Let the
Fedora Project be the unifying resources and community that can enable those
people to create products that fit their needs.

-Toshio