Regarding re branded Fedora Remixes using Fedora community resources.

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 11:38:33 UTC 2010

 On 10/28/2010 04:39 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

I'm not quite sure how wize it is for a person that uses or atleast used
[1] Fedora official channels to promote their own product over Fedora
itself should be included in the writing of best practises/guidelines or
having any saying in that matter in general unless of course the board
approves and thus in a sense promotes such activities.

 I don't know whether you are intentionally doing it but your tone appears
to be condescending in many of these mails.   I have been involved in
creating and maintaining many of the first Fedora Spins and Fedora Remixes
and don't view them as individual products but part of the broader Fedora
community.  I believe my experience in doing all this puts me in a better
position to write such guidelines.   I would admit that I am biased since I
did suggest the word "remix" in the first place when the new trademark
guidelines were being drafted, but in the absence of any particular policy
regarding what should be announced via the Fedora announce list and the long
established practise of announcing third party repositories via the same
mailing list, I don't see a problem.

It is a moderated mailing list and if the project has anything against such
practises, document the policy and reject announcements that fall outside
that.  For what it is worth, the last release of my remix wasn't announced
using that mailing list so I don't particular care about it anyway at this
point.  We as a community cannot have it both ways.  Fedora Remix as a
secondary brand (along with other efforts like generic-logos package) was
established precisely to promote the possibility of remixes having seen the
value in them.  Unless there is evidence of actual problems in a mass scale,
I would suggest just establishing best practise guidelines and leave it at
that.  Remixes are going to be created regardless of what you want to call
them.  All you can possibly do is change the guidelines to withdraw the use
of "Fedora Remix" or put rigid guidelines around that which is going to have
the same result.  I doubt that is a useful exercise in any form.

Rahul