Regarding re branded Fedora Remixes using Fedora community resources.

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 12:58:44 UTC 2010

On Oct 28, 2010, at 6:09 AM, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:

> On 10/28/2010 06:40 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> On 10/22/2010 06:20 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>>> Should not those remixes be at least required to provide clear easy accessible and documentation on how those remixes deviate from Fedora?
>>> ( As is being done with the Omega remix [2][3] )
>>
>> Since I do the Omega remix, I can commit to any best practise
>> guidelines that Fedora Project might have or even help write those but
>> lets not get heavy handed.  We can only suggest but active enforcement
>> is not feasible or desirable IMO.   Afaik,  Fusion Linux doesn't
>> rebuild any Fedora packages and treating bugs from installation of
>> proprietary drivers etc can be handled just like how we handle it now,
>> when the user has done it manually.
>>

> I'm not quite sure how wize it is for a person that uses or atleast used
> [1] Fedora official channels to promote their own product over Fedora
> itself should be included in the writing of best practises/guidelines or
> having any saying in that matter in general unless of course the board
> approves and thus in a sense promotes such activities.

While I understand the concern that folks running remixes can create a support burden, I, for one, am not interested in having purity tests to determine if one is allowed to contribute to Fedora.  That Rahul has created a remix should in no way bar him from participation in furthering the goals of Fedora itself.  I find the suggestion that he should be barred offensive.  It goes against everything Free software represents and flies in the face of the 4 Freedoms [2].

To be fair, I find the suggestion from the Fusion Linux contributor that folks lie about what they're running equally offensive.

[2] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

--
Chris